We have many tricks up our sleeves when it comes to cooking fast and making eating at home a simple, daily affair. One of our secret is a bottle of homemade crispy garlic. It’s something we always keep in our kitchen. A teaspoon of it on blanched vegetable, steam fish, congee or even Indomee transform a regular dish into something much more flavourful.
At JewelPie, we avoid doing things that are too time-consuming and messy. We’ll show you how to make crispy garlic without using a stove. We will be using only a microwave and we’ll get a bottle of delicious condiment in merely 5 minutes!
YOU WILL NEED
> Garlic, minced x 1 bulb
> Sunflower oil x about 1/2 cup
> Microwave-safe bowl
> Glass jar
Chop garlic finely (1) and put into a small, microwave-safe bowl. Pour oil into the bowl until garlic is covered (2). Pop it in the microwave for a few minutes. Check in between to prevent garlic from being overcooked. (4) Let it cool (5) and transfer it into a clean, air-tight glass jar.
NOTES & TIPS
- Overcooked garlic will turn brown, bitter and inedible. We suggest that you check it every minute to prevent it from happening.
- Even after removing the bowl from the microwave, the heat will continue to cook the garlic. To prevent garlic from being overcooked, remove the bowl from the microwave when the garlic turns golden yellow. If it’s not ready, you can always pop it back into the microwave.
- If you want the garlic to be crispy, remove the garlic from the oil and place them on paper napkin. Then keep it in a separate, air-tight container.
- To avoid oil from splattering into the inner walls of the microwave and dirtying it, use a microwave cover.
- To chop garlic quickly, you can use a chopping tool such as this.
- If stored properly (dry, clean and air-tight glass jar), the oil can last for months in the fridge.