WHAT IS IT ABOUT
The cookbook is the brainchild of Chef Yenni Law, owner of boatHouse Restaurant & Bar in the TTDI neighbourhood. Aptly titled, the book mostly centres on meat, with step-by-step tricks (accompanied by photos) on meat cutting. Recipes are divided into five different cooking methods: seared, grilled, baked, braised, and roasted; plus a chapter on starters and desserts.
WHY MEATOLOGY IS GREAT
The cookbook contains some of Chef Yenni’s best recipes at boatHouse. Packed with meat inspired recipes (and some seafood), the cookbook would be perfect for meat lovers and those eager to try their hands at cooking meat, plus it features tips on meat cutting for better cooking experience.
FOR BEGINNERS WITH LIMITED SKILLS IN THE KITCHEN
For those with limited skills in the kitchen, Chef Yenni suggests that you try these recipes for a start:
- Grilled Black Angus Ribeye with Pink Peppercorn Ratatouille (pg.44)
- Braised Black Mussels in Spicy Tomato Concasse (pg.104)
- Marinated Cockles with Coriander (pg.147)
(We think the Beef Prosciutto with Rocket and Apple and Grilled Lamb Cutlets with Aubergine Gremolata is quite easy to make too)
BEST RECIPES FOR MEAT LOVERS WITH BUSY SCHEDULE
Not enough time to cook? Try these recipes which range from 45 minutes to 1 hour:
- Halibut Thermidor (pg.67)
- Salt-baked Crab with Clarified Butter (pg.86)
- Yabbies in Garlic Butter and Cream (pg.92)
- Braised Black Mussels in Spicy Tomato Concase (pg.104)
- Roast Veal Rack with Grain Mustard Crust (pg.120)
- Scallop Carpaccio (pg.143)
COOKING FOR A SPECIAL DAY? MEATOLOGY’S DINNER FOR TWO
Chef Yenni recommends the perfect 3-course meal from Meatology for your special day:
- Starter: Broccoli and Crab Chowder (pg.134)
- Main: Grilled Black Angus Ribeye with Pink Peppercorn Ratatouille (pg.44)
- Dessert: Steamed Prune Pudding with Beef Bacon (pg.150)
(An alternative for dessert would be the Poached Pear with Cream Cheese and Smoke Turkey Breast Stuffing)
CHEF YENNI’S PERSONAL FAVES
- Tuna Nicoise (pg.26). The chef says that “the combination of tuna with the dressing plus Scandinavian anchovies tantalises the palate.” (Tip: to get high-quality tuna fillet, Chef Yenni suggests Ben’s Independent Grocers in Publika or Lee’s Frozen in Kampung Attap)
- Salt-baked Crab with Clarified Butter (pg.86). “Easy to make, no-fuss, and you can taste the real sweetness of the crab and saltiness of the sea,”she explains.
Meatology is available at all major bookstores for RM39.90.