My weekly staple normally consists of toxic food such as instant noodles, deep-fried food at the mamak or pasar malam, soft drinks, and other unhealthy treats. I never take a moment to think about the consequences of eating unhealthy junks, until recently.
I thought I’d start by detoxing my body with Lifestyle Juicery. which specialises in raw cold pressed juices and juice cleanse programs. There are several cleansing programs to choose from, and I decided to start with a 4-day cleanse called 4 Day Silver, which includes six bottles of 500ml juices each day for four days, delivered in two batches.
- Reschedule my social outings The first thing I did was to reschedule my social outings. It’s always wise to avoid temptations like eating out at your favourite restaurant, if you could manage to.
- Make healthy goals I put aside some free time to make a few goals relating to my health and lifestyle. This is important as it helps to keep you on track and not give in to temptations easily.
- Weaning off food I started weaning myself off of my usual food intake, such as meat, processed food, salt, sugar, and caffeine. This is the hardest one for me.
- Eat according to the recommended meals I eat plenty of fresh fruits, vegetables, salads and vegetable soup.
- Staying hydradated I stayed hydrated every chance possible (proper hydration allows for a smoother clearance of toxins from your body)
WHAT I’VE RECEIVED
I received the first batch of juices the night before my cleanse in a big box (delivery was right on time), which contains a starter guide (with expiry date stamped on it), a complimentary cooler bag and ice packs (for travelling convenience), and 12 bottles of juices with numbered caps, 1 to 6, for easy consumption. The six flavours included in my cleanse were:
1. Seize The Day – carrot, orange, celery, pineapple, apple, parsley
2. Mean Green – kale, spinach, cucumber, apple, lemon, broccoli, ginger
3. Root For Red – beetroot, kale, carrot, apple, broccoli
4. The Green Factor – kale, spinach, cucumber, apple, lemon, pineapple, orange
5. Coconut Groove – coconut, cinnamon stick
6. Nuts Bout Nuts – almond, cashew, pecan, cinnamon, vanilla bean
I wasn’t sure how to take these juices so I contacted Erina. She advised me to drink each of them every two hour, starting from number 1 (six bottles per day). I also received an email from Lifestyle Juicery to prepare for the first day of cleanse, which includes a list of symptoms to expect while cleansing (such as headaches, fatigue, and extreme cravings) plus things to do on the first day of cleansing.
JUICE CLEANSE EXPERIENCE
I’m pretty nervous as I wasn’t sure what to expect. I was also somewhat traumatised by store-bought raw juices that my Mom forced me to drink once (they tasted really bitter).
- 5 minutes prior to drinking Seize The Day, I drank a glass of warm water with squeezed lemon juice in it (this has an immediate alkalising and hydrating effect as it wakes up your digestive system)
- I started drinking Seize The Day (surprisingly the juice tasted good, it’s neither too sweet nor bitter)
- So far so good, I’m able to do my work as usual.
- I started craving for food, and my head started to hurt
- I drank mineral water to keep my mind off food before moving on to the next juice, Mean Green (luckily, the second juice was also drinkable)
- Come noon, I started feeling snappy and low on energy
- My head was throbbing. I also noticed how I keep going to the bathroom to pee
- I had the third juice, Root For Red (this is my least favourite juice of them all because of the beetroot)
- At this point my head hurt so much I had to lie down (I’d easily get a headache if I don’t eat on time)
- Still having the headache, and I only got up to go to the bathroom to relieve myself.
- I drank the fourth juice, The Green Factor.
- My energy levels were deteriorating fast
- I still had the headache, but by this time I was able to get up and do some light activity
- I moved on to the next juice, Coconut Groove (the smell and the taste of it were soothing and refreshing, and it lifted my mood)
- I got emotional seeing my family during tea time with yummy treats, so I retreated to my room
- I’m finally on to my last juice of the day, Nuts Bout Nuts (it was the best juice I had the entire day due to its creaminess)
- I decided to sleep early (at 8PM) to avoid the ‘pain’ of food cravings
I woke up feeling slightly better than yesterday, and my headache had eased a bit. I started with the first juice just like the day before. I’m able to do chores today, though I still feel extremely hungry, bloated and uncomfortable. I was on my fourth juice when the second batch of juices arrived (I’m also amazed at how I was able to carry the heavy box from the porch to the kitchen). I still keep running to the bathroom back and forth, and I started to feel queasy after my fifth juice. I assumed the queasiness was temporary so I shrugged it off.
I still felt queasy, and it was as if I was about to vomit anytime. I got worried so I contacted Erina again. She reassured me that some people do get nausea from a cleanse, and that it was one of the detox symptoms. Erina suggested that I drink some peppermint or ginger tea. I continued to drink my juices, with a few glasses of warm water and ginger tea in between (and lots of trips to the bathroom).
On my last day of cleanse, I could feel my body was a lot lighter, and I wasn’t as sluggish as I’d normally been in the morning, though the headache still lingered. My queasiness has gone, but I was seriously craving for coffee today. I also received an email on post cleanse guide. I did the juice routine as usual, and was feeling extremely proud of myself at the end of the day.
- It is not for everyone. Juice cleansing is NOT for you if you’re undergoing chemotherapy, are diabetic, have kidney disease or nutritional deficiencies.
- It might not be sustainable in losing/keeping weight. There’s a good chance you may lose the weight pretty fast, but unfortunately you can also gain it back if you don’t have the discipline to continue on a healthy diet.
- It might be tough on the wallet The most affordable program starts at RM599, which can be pricey to many. However, it is probably a fair price to pay unless you invest in a slow juice and have all the time in the world and do the juicing yourself.
- Helps in retaining your taste buds. If you rarely eat fruits and vegetables, juicing is good in helping you to adjust your diet.
- Discipline in diet. You won’t give in easily to chips, sweets, carbs and other bad things now that juicing regulates your food intake.
- Real sense of accomplishment. Going on a cleanse is no easy feat, but the feeling you get when you have succeeded in sticking it out until the very end is truly remarkable.
- Make sure you don’t have any serious health condition.
- Follow through all of the before, during and after cleanse guide.
- Make sure you’re mentally and physically ready for the cleanse.
- Have a good support system (let everyone around you know beforehand that you’re going on a juice cleanse to make your experience easier).
To find a juice cleanse programme that is suitable for you, go to Lifestyle Juicery.
Note: The juice cleanse package was delivered to us for consideration.