Claypot chicken rice is one of Malaysian’s favourite dish and can be easily made at home. The preparation time is quick (it should be ready in about 30 to 45 minutes) and the ingredients can be commonly found at home.
Makes 4 servings
> Rice x 2 cups
> Water x 2 cups
> Chicken, chopped x 1/2 or about 600g
> Dark soy sauce x 2 tsp
> Oyster sauce x 2 tbsp
> Light soy sauce x 3 tbsp
> Ginger x 2 knobs (about the size of two thumbs)
- Make ginger juice by grating ginger into a bowl of two tablespoon water. Roughly squeeze the juice out leaving the fibre.
- Marinade chopped chicken with ginger juice, dark soy sauce, light soy sauce and oyster sauce for about 10 minutes.
- Wash rice and add water to cook rice. Set to cook.
- When the rice is almost cook (when there are still some water in it) which should take about 20 minutes, add marinated chicken and mushrooms along with the sauce.
- Close the rice cooker lid and continue cooking for at least 15 minutes. Let it “keep warm” for a while to ensure that the meat is thoroughly cook.
- With a chopstick, mix the chicken, mushroom and rice together. The rice will become brown from the soy marinade.
- Serve with chopped spring onions and salted fish.
- As every rice cooker is different, the cooking time varies. The timing given above is a rough estimate.
- To avoid soggy rice, be careful to not put too much water. Some people would not include the marinate sauce, but we personally think it’s a waste to not include the flavourful marinate.
- If you think the chicken is not cooked enough, add a little water and cook again for a little while more.
- To make the dish healthier, add some vegetables such as long beans.
What other one-dish meal do you normally make?