Our ambition to eat healthy and be fit is often met with road blocks. How to do it? Do we have time for it? Can I sustain myself in a new diet that my body is not used to? Then, we get demotivated because living a healthier lifestyle seems so hard to do.
Well, we believe the first step to live better is to incorporate more fresh fruits and vegetables. The easiest way is through smoothies. You only need to put everything into the blender, press a button and it’s done!
Easier said than done? We have a tip for you: pack pre-cut fruit and vegetable in freezer bags. he only thing that had been stopping us is time and inconvenience of preparing it first thing in the morning. Imagine out delight to discover the trick of packaging pre-cut fruits and vegetables in freezer bags!
This is one delicious recipe from the classic book Green For Life by Victoria Boutenko. Though it looks very green and unappetising to those who dislike vegetables, it contains sweet ingredients like grapes, oranges and banana which makes it popular among kids and people who are sceptical of smoothies. If you want to convert someone into eating better, this is a to-go recipe.
YOU WILL NEED:
Makes 8 servings
- Romaince lettuce x 16 leaves
- Red grapes x 2 cups
- Oranges x 2 medium-sized
- Banana x 8 small pieces
- Sandwich bag with zip x 8
Clean and peel fruits and vegetables (1). Then, divide them equally into freezer bags (2) and keep in the freezer (3). In the morning, simply pour the frozen smoothie bag into a powerful blender (4) and add 3/4 cup of water (5) to blend (6).
Ta-da! That’s how you can have a healthy, filling and quick smoothie.
NOTES & TIPS:
- Freezer bags are made to prevent the fruits from being damaged by dehydration and oxidation from the air reaching the food. Hence to maintain the quality of your smoothie, it’s best to use resealable bags than regular plastic bags.
- This recipe makes eight servings.
- Make smoothie in bags during the weekend so you can enjoy them all week long.
- If you want to make it first thing in the morning, do defrost it the night before.
- Though it is best to drink it fresh, smoothies can be kept for up to three days in cold temperature.
Now, with these ‘instant smoothie packs’, you have a quick and healthy breakfast ready. Make it in the morning, bring it to work and pop it into the fridge. When you’re hungry and feel like munching some snacks, reach out to your glass of healthy drink!
What ingredients do you normally put in your smoothie?