A few Sundays ago, we had a lovely lunch with a girlfriend at Milk & Butter at Bangsar and talked about frivolous things like a travel perfume dispenser, hair removal laser treatment and getting a pedicure together.
Cooked tomato protects skin from sun damage
Naturally, we ordered their tomato soup because we know tomato is good for the skin. Cooked tomato contains lycopene, a free-radical scavenging phytonutrient which protects the skin from sun damage.
Cooked vegetables for good digestion and glowing skin
Our traditional chinese medicine doctor recommends blended food and plenty of cooked vegetables for good digestion and glowing skin.
Realizing that we do not include enough cooked tomatoes in our everyday cooking, we decided to make a pot of delicious soup for the skin and the stomach.
Knowing that time and energy are not always our friend, we simplified a good roast tomato soup recipe from Barefoot Contessa, Ina Garten.
We’ve omitted the garlic and thyme, but you unless you’ve tried the original one and have discerning taste bud, you can’t really tell the difference. Use a hand blender, it makes cooking soup much easier.
YOU WILL NEED
> Tomatoes x 1 kg (about 8 huge tomatoes)
> Canned tomatoes x 1 (We’ve tried tomato puree and it turned out just fine)
> Onions, yellow x 1
> Chilli flakes
> Basil x 20 gm
> Olive oil x 1/4 cup and 2 tablespoon
> Butter x 2 tablespoon
> Black pepper x 1 1/2 tsp
> Salt x 1 tbsp
> Water x 1 litre
> Hand blender / blender
- Preheat the oven to 240 degrees. Spread tomato in one layer in a roasting pan. Season with olive oil and pepper.
- Roast in oven for 45 minutes
- In a stockpot, saute onions with olive oil, butter and red pepper flakes for about 10 minutes. The onions should brown.
- Add canned tomato, basil and water.
- Pour oven-roasted tomatoes into the stock.
- Bring to boil and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes. In the pot, blend with hand blender. Add salt to taste.
Do you make vegetable soup at home? Share with us your best recipe below!