I’ve been quite obsessed about making food super crispy – salted egg prawns, roasted pork belly, fried pork with red fermented beancurd and salmon. Next is making crispy chicken wings – the perfect party food. I found and adapted from SeriousEats’ Hot and Numbing X’ian Chicken Wings Recipe and Matt Bittman’s Korean-style Chicken Wings.
Note that this recipe comes with sauce (wet) and is not the kind of crispy (dry) that crunch when you take a bite. But this is definitely not those soft and soggy chicken wings. Despite the moist and flavourful sauce, you can still feel the crisp once you bit into the skin. That’s what I like about this recipe. It’s somewhat crispy yet not dry.
HOW TO MAKE IT CRISPY?
To make chicken wings crispy, we want to throughly dry the chicken hence we do a few things to it:
- Pat dry with paper towels
- Marinate it with salt and baking powder
- Expose it to dry in the refrigerator for 8 hours in the refrigerator
HOW TO COOK THIS DISH?
We crisp the chicken in the oven, dunk them in Korean-sauce and then caramelised/brown under the broiler (oven). The results? Crispy and caramelised chicken wings flavoured with Korean-style spicy sauce.
Active time: 20 minutes
Total time: 9 hours
Makes: 12 wings
Chicken wings x 1.5 kg / 1 dozen
Baking powder x 3 tsp
Salt x 3 tsp
Korean red chili paste x 3 tbsp
Soy sauce x 3 tbsp
Rice vinegar x 2 tbsp
Honey x 3 tbsp
Sesame oil x 1 tbsp
Minced garlic x 2 tbsp
Minced ginger x 1 tbsp
Large mixing bowl x 2
Non-stick pan + tongs
TO PREPARE & MARINATE CHICKEN
- Mince ginger and garlic (about 6 cloves of ginger and 30 g ginger). Pound in pestle and mortar (optional)
- Line baking pan with aluminium foil
- Chop wings into two parts- drummers and wingette. Clean chicken wings and with paper towel
- Place 1/3 of wings in large bowl. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon baking powder and 1 teaspoon salt. Toss until thoroughly and evenly coated. Place on rack, leaving slight space between each wing. Repeat with remaining two batches of wings.
- Place baking sheet with wings in refrigerator. Let is rest for at least 8 hours and up to 18 hours. Do not cover it. The chicken will be dry when you’re ready to cook it.
TO CRISP CHICKEN IN THE OVEN:
- Adjust oven rack to upper-middle position. Preheat oven to 230°C.
- Add chicken wings and cook for 20 minutes.
- Flip wings and continue to cook until crisp and golden brown, 15 to 25 minutes longer.
TO MAKE SAUCE:
- While the wings cook, combine, 3 tbsp Korean red chili paste, 3 tbsp cup soy sauce, 3 tablespoons honey, 2 tbsp rice vinegar, 1 tablespoon sesame oil, 2 tablespoons minced garlic and 1 tablespoon minced ginger in a large bowl.
TO BROWN CHICKEN ON PAN:
- Remove cooked wings from the oven. Add them to the bowl with the sauce. Toss to coat.
- Place it back on the baking tray to broil. Flip the chicken. Both side should be nicely browned (5 to 10 min)
- For convenience, buy chicken wings which are already separated into parts.
- Do not put too much sauce on the chicken.