As consumers are more informed than before, slow juicer is preferred over centrifugal juicer. Many choose to use a slow juicer due to its many benefits such as the ability to retain nutrients in fruits and vegetables. We’ve put to test one of the many slow juicer in the market: Kuvings Whole Slow Juicer (“Hungry Henry” with Dessert Makers Model-NS-621). Look at what we think about this juicer after using it for a month.
WHAT DO YOU GET
1 unit of Kuvings Whole Juicer
1 Pulp Cup
1 Juice Cup
1 Cleaning Brush
1 Rotating Brush
1 Blank Strainer (for frozen desserts)
1 Smoothies Strainer ( for smoothies)
1 Recipe Book
WHAT CAN IT DO
Kuvings Whole Slow Juicer can do basic juicing of fruits, vegetables and even nuts and grains such as soy milk and almond milk. Since this unit comes with 2 different strainers – it can also make smoothies and frozen desserts such as ice-creams, sorbet and gelato.
HOW TO USE
- Assemble all the different parts as per instruction manual.
- Prepare fruits and vegetables as per instructions of each recipe – certain fruits need to be cut and some needs to be soaked prior to juicing.
- Place pulp cup under the pulp spout to collect fruits/vegetables pulp.
- Press the FORWARD button to operate
- Insert the ingredients through the feeding tube and use the pusher when required.
- Close the smart cap to allow the juice to mix inside the juicing bowl.
SOME OF THE RECIPES WE’VE TRIED:
- Basic Juice (Juice Strainer) : Dreamy Carrot Juice – 2 celery stalks, 1 carrot, 1 cucumber
- Basic Juice ( Juice Strainer) : Soy Milk – 150g bean, 150ml water
- Smoothies (Smoothies Strainer) : Mango Lassi – 3 mangoes,200ml milk,50ml yogurt, 1 tsp honey, 1 tsp cinnamon.
- Frozen dessert (Blank Strainer) : Banana Yogurt Gelato – 1 frozen banana, 200gm plain yogurt.
WHAT WE LIKE
Ease of use & stylish – Simply assemble the different parts of the juicer and start juicing right away without much cutting. It is also sleek and stylish to sit on the kitchen counter.
3-in-1 function – This juicer doesn’t only make juice but it can also make smoothies and frozen desserts by simply changing the strainer – both smoothies’ strainer and blank strainer are included in this unit.
Patented press-and-extract technology – preserve enzyme and nutrient in juice.
Wide feeding tube – Smaller fruits (under 3 inch in diameter) such as apple,orange, or tomato do not need cutting and can be feed directly into the tube.
Smart Cap – Unlike ordinary juicer where juice flows out immediately out of the juice spout, Kuving’s juice spout is attached with a detachable cap to allow juice to mix in the juicing bowl and it also prevent juice from dripping.
Ease of cleaning – Either use the cleaning brush to clean the strainer or insert strainer into the rotating brush. Rotate the rotating brush in one direction and the strainer in another under running water. All the pulp and fiber will be completely cleaned out in just a few movements. Other parts of the juicer only require rinsing.
Extended warranty – Kuving also provide the option of extending the warranty to 20 years for motor unit and 5 years on other parts.
Recipe Book – Very comprehensive juicing guide with over 70 recipes. Each recipe comes with step by step guide, nutritional value, quantity of juice yield and level of bitterness/sweetness of recipe.
WHAT CAN BE IMPROVED
- Vertical & heavy – cannot store away in kitchen cabinet unless disassemble parts. The motor unit is rather heavy (whole unit weights 6.4kg) hence it’s best to make space on the kitchen counter.
- Pricey Selling at RM2,498.
THINGS TO NOTE
- Do not juice in excess of 30 minutes to prevent overheating. Allow the motor unit to cool down for at least 30 minutes before starting a new session.
- Cut fibrous ingredients – Certain fibrous ingredient such as celery and kale should be cut into smaller length of about 4 inch to prevent such leafy ingredient from wrapping around the juicing screw.
- Hard fruits and vegetables such as carrot/beet should first be soaked in cold water for 30 minutes and to maximize juice yield. Match it with high water content fruits such as apple or pineapple. Our experience with pineapple yields the best results and often tastier juice.
- Fruits and vegetable pulp can still be used for other recipe. As we were trying out the Kuvings juicer to make soy milk for breakfast, we find that the soy pulp (okara) is so dry that we can immediately store it in the fridge and use it for cooking.
- Consider extended warranty- With such a high end machine that operates on movement and frictions, it is better to purchase the extended warranty to double the warranty period from 10 years to 20 years. Just like we do not change our refrigerator/oven every other year, this juicer should be seen as an investment and longer warranty period usually means higher resale value.
A well-designed machine that is easy to use and produces delicious juices. Although pricey at first glance, the 10 years warranty period is a valuable offer. If we use Kuving daily for 10 years, the cost is less than RM 1 per day. If you are serious about juicing, this machine is highly recommended.