We feast with our eyes as much as our tongue. Beautiful food wet our appetite and enhance our dining experience. Hence, after preparing healthy meals, I like to arrange them nicely on a plate and use my best utensils. On special occasion, I even make food carving. One that is incredibly easy to make is a ‘rose’ from a tomato.
In a nutshell
The idea is to cut a continuous strip of skin from the tomato. It’s much like peeling an apple in a long curly strip. You will remove the skin and leave the bare flesh. If you can do that, this wouldn’t be a problem. Even if you don’t, this is very easy to master. Here’s a step-by-step tutorial:
- From the top of the tomato, cut a semi-circle around the stem, about 2 cm away from the top.
- Slit it around the whole tomato- maintaining the same width. Remember not to cut too deep as you only want the skin of the tomato.
- Cut all the way until the bottom of the tomato.
- Cut horizontally from the top to remove the outer strip of skin from the tomato.
- Continue cutting all the way until the end.
- When you reach the bottom, cut the strip off from the tomato .
- You will have a long strip of tomato skin.
- Roll it to form a rose.
It makes a beautiful garnishing to a simple vegetable dish. Try it!
Do you have any easy method to decorate a dish?