Do you know why food such as kimchi and sauerkraut are hailed as superfood? One of the main reason is that it has been through fermentation process. Beverage, like food, can be fermented too. We’ll show you how to make fermented fruit drink!
In Malaysia, it’s known as ‘fruit enzyme’, a term which is only adopted here. It’s commonly made in health-conscious, Malaysian household. While we were doing some research on the internet, Wikipedia claims that the sources are not reliable (read Wikipedia).
So we research for more information through a classic health book,’Nourishing traditions’ by Sally Fallon. The book is supported by The ‘Westin A. Price Foundation a nonprofit charity that supports the consumption of nutrient-dense whole foods.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF FERMENTED BEVERAGE
Lacto-fermented beverage contains lactic acid, beneficial lactobacili and contains numerous valuable minerals in ionized form. Modern research has discovered that liquids containing dilute sugars and electrolytes of minerals, are actually absorbed faster and retained longer than plain water. How are are these beneficial to us?
- Relieve intestinal problems (improve digestion)
- Improve constipation
- Promote lactation
- Strengthen the sick and
- Promote overall well-being and stamina”
(Source: Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon, page 584 and 585)
YOU WILL NEED
> Pineapple……………………………….. 2 (small)
> Rock sugar……………………………….4 cups
> Huge glass jar
> glass bottle
- Make sure that all the things needed to make the fruit enzyme are dry (air-dry preferably).
- Peel pinapple and lemon. Do not wash them.
- Put ingredients in the container in layers. Start with pineapple, lemon and then rock sugar. We did two layers. Always have the rock sugar on top and 80% full to avoid the juice from overflowing.
- Put the container in a cool and dark place. A kitchen cabinet away from appliances and sunlight will be idea.
- Shake the container daily and observe for any mold growth. To avoid contamination, make sure that the ingredients are immersed in fermented juice.
- On the third day, open the cover to release gas that are produced during the fermentation process. Remember to close it immediately after that. That’s to avoid contamination.
- On the third week, your enzyme should be ready.
- Using a sieve and a funnel, extract juices from the glass container into another glass bottle. Again, make sure these utensils are dry.
- Keep enzyme in the fridge and have a sip before meal everyday.
- You don’t have to purposely buy glass containers. We reused Horlicks and wine bottles.
- Don’t know how to cut pineapples properly? It’s okay to leave the ‘black spot’ on for this purpose.
- You can use other fruits such as dragonfruits and apples.
- Keep a close eye on mold growth (white or black dots), it can cause food poisoning when eaten.
- When you keep it in the fridge, the cool temperature will stop the fermentation process.
- If you don’t have a very good memory, you might want to label your bottle with the date or production and when it will be ready.
- As the fruit enzyme is fermented, it produces alcohol. For those who cannot consume alcohol for health or religious reason, do take note.
- Don’t throw the leftover fruits away. It can be used as fertiliser.
As you will need to leave the container for a long time to ferment, the fruit enzyme can be contaminated easily. To avoid growth of mold, make sure the utensils that you used (plates, spoons, chopping board, etc), the glass container and even fruits are dry. It is best to air-dry them. Even a single drop of water can spoil the whole batch. We cannot stress this enough. Avoid contact with water!
When we were making this enzyme, we realise we have some habits done out of hygiene that should not be practiced. Here are a few things to note:
- Do not start work immediately after washing your hands. Wipe them very dry.
- Do not wash the fruits after cutting them.
- Do not wash your hands after cutting the fruits and before putting them into the container. In short, keep your hands away from water.
This is a record of how your fruit enzyme should look like:
HOW TO SERVE
Drink about two tablespoon neat an hour before meal to aid digestion. You can also mix it with water as a health fruit drink!
Do you eat any fermented food regularly?