We first learned about this soup from a neighbour. She buys organic food and eats mostly plants. At our household, we like to make nutritious food that enhance our energy such as chicken essence and red dates tonic.
Soup that is made to ‘eliminate’ is rarely made. That is until the recent hot spell and more eating out than usual seem to be causing a rare eruption of pimples. So we decided to make a pot of detox soup to remove toxin from our body.
Beetroot is hailed as a superfood which helps support liver detoxification. It also lower blood pressure and may help reduce the risk of heart disease (source).
Radish or daikon are normally avoided by Chinese household which consume a lot of herbs and health supplements. It is believed that radish removes both bad and good in the body. It is also rich in minerals like ascorbic acid, folic acid and potassium.
Carrot and red dates are not particularly well-known for its detox qualities, however they are no less nutritious. Carrot is rich in vitamin A which is vital for skin and cellular health. Red dates on the other hand is rich in iron amongst other minerals.
> Radish x 1
> Beetroot x 1
> Carrot x 1
> Red dates x a handful
> Water x 2 litres
> Salt, preferably himalayan pink salt or seasalt
- Peel and chop vegetables
- Place vegetables and water into a pot
- With a pair of scissors, cut red dates into the pot.
- Bring to boil and then simmer for two hours.
- Season with salt and serve.
- As we’re not using meat in this soup, we added a little more dates to ensure the soup is more palatable.
- You can include mushroom stems or kombu too.
- For you carnivores out there, add chicken bones if you must.
- To make cooking easier, you may want to use a slow cooker or a thermal cooker.
Do you believe that the secret to beauty is good health?